Dulles, VA – August 15, 2005 – America Online, Inc., the world's leading interactive services company, today announced the launch of AOLMobile.com (www.aolmobile.com), a personalized mobile portal that makes it easy to learn about, buy and use today’s hottest wireless communications and content services. Designed to meet the needs of AOL® members, AIM® users and mobile users alike, the site can be customized by mobile users to present the features and services available for their particular phone model and service provider combination.
Delivered in part through a new alliance with InPhonic, Inc., a leading online seller of wireless services and devices, AOLMobile.com also offers an innovative and complete mobile storefront. Users can find, compare and buy the latest mobile phones and cellular service plans with the advanced features and accessories that complement their mobile lifestyles.
“The new AOLMobile.com site is all about personalization and simplification. We designed it so that our members, registered users and web users alike can easily learn about the phones, services, features and accessories that are available and best suited to meet their needs,” said Rajive Mathur, vice president, AOLMobile.com, America Online, Inc. “It’s also a ‘mobile home base’ where users can easily manage their wireless service accounts.”
Debuts Mobile Extension of AOL.com for Cell Phone Users
America Online today also announced that it has debuted the mobile extension of the new AOL.com portal. This new Mobile AOL.com WAP 2 portal gives mobile users everywhere easy wireless access to AOL’s popular content and services.
Features of the new AOLMobile.com and Mobile AOL.com WAP 2 Portal include:
– My Mobile Dashboard: The My Mobile Dashboard is designed to give mobile users a central place to easily manage cell phone features and preferences, such as IM Forwarding or Alerts and Reminders. By registering their phone in the privacy-protected site, users can also quickly identify and select relevant services and download features like ringtones and wallpapers.
– AOL Mobile Top Picks: AOL Mobile ‘Top Picks’ feature is a ranking of the latest and hottest phones, ringtones and services. Each week, the ‘Top Picks’ will give mobile users a one-stop shop to peruse mobile gadgets and services that are making headlines among those in the know.
– Phone Finder: This innovative tool simplifies the process of researching and buying cell phones by integrating phone model and carrier plan selection into a single, user-friendly menu. Users can then see purchase options according to selected features and preferred carriers for the ultimate phone shopping experience.
– Deals: Updated regularly, the Deals section presents users with the latest promotions and discounts available on phones, accessories and services.
– Account Management: The Account Management feature, which will be available later this year, will let AOL members check their mobile usage, pay their cellular service bills using AOL Bill Pay and add new features to their account as they become available. In the coming months it will also be available to AIM and general web users as well.
– Opportunity for Advertisers: AOLMobile.com offers marketers new opportunities to reach AOL’s many audiences, offering standard advertising units as well as opportunities for fixed integration and cost-per-order (CPO) advertising.
Mobile AOL.com WAP 2 Portal:
– AOL® Mobile Search Services (Beta): AOL® Mobile Search Services automatically format search results to the user’s mobile screen with clickable hyperlinks that make mobile search as actionable and useful as search on the desktop. The services provide mobile users with easy access to the AOL® Search, Pinpoint® Shopping search and AOL® Yellow Pages services to help them quickly find whatever they may need.
– News: The News feature provides wireless users with the top stories in five key categories: US, International, Business, Entertainment and Sports.
– Weather: Users on the go can stay informed on current weather conditions and see a one-week forecast by simply entering their zip code or city and state. The Weather feature delivers the information in an easy to read, single window so that users can quickly check weather information wherever they may be.
– Sports: Sports fans on the go can always stay up-to-date by clicking on the Sports feature of the AOL Mobile WAP Portal. They will have the option to read the top five sports stories of the day, or simply check game scores for their favorite football, basketball, hockey or baseball team.
– Entertainment: AOL Mobile has developed content designed to make the wireless experience even more personal and entertaining by offering access to horoscopes and the day’s top entertainment news.
– Yellow Pages: For fast access to local listings, AOL Mobile added the Yellow Pages service to the front page of the AOL Mobile WAP Portal. With one-click, mobile users will be able to quickly search for and launch a call to the local movie theater, dry cleaners or coffee shop.
– AOL® Pictures: The mobile AOL Pictures service gives AOL members easy access to their stored photo albums and pictures anytime and anywhere. In the coming months, AOL Mobile will also extend the mobile AOL Pictures service to AIM users.
– AOL® Mail: AOL Members will also gain wireless access to their AOL Mail service, which lets them retrieve and respond to e-mails from their mobile device(s).
– AIM® Mail: Coming soon, AIM Mail users will be able to access the new free Web-mail service from America Online. To register, please see www.aim.com.
Availability: AOLMobile.com can be accessed from the desktop by typing www.aolmobile.com into your desktop browser or by clicking the Mobile phone icon in the upper right hand corner of the new AOL.com portal home page (www.aol.com). The Mobile version of AOL.com can be accessed by typing www.aol.com into your mobile browser directly from your cell phone. PalmOne® Treo650™ users should enter mobile.aol.com instead.
About America Online, Inc.
America Online, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. Based in Dulles, Virginia, America Online is the world's leader in interactive services, Web brands, Internet technologies and e-commerce services.
About InPhonic, Inc.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., InPhonic, Inc. (Nasdaq: INPC), provides wireless products and services through websites it creates and manages for online businesses, national retailers, member-based organizations and associations under their own brands. For more information on the company, visit the InPhonic Corporate website at www.inphonic.com.
Back to Portfolio News